The Dalyellup Beach Cadet program is conducted for 14 to 17 year olds. The Cadet program is conducted concurrently with the Nipper program on a Sunday morning 8.30am to 9.30am.
The Cadet program aims to develop youth involvement in the Surf Club through facilitating participation and achievement in the spectrum of SLSA awards and proficiencies. At Dalyellup, these can include:
* Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC)
* Senior First Aid
* Radio Operator
* Bronze Medallion
* Advanced Resuscitation
* Inflatable Rescue Boat Crew (IRBC) Certificate
* Training Officer
* Age Manager
The first stage of the Cadet program is gaining the SRC award, normally as part of the first half of the Surf Club season. This award allows Cadets to join the Dalyellup Surf Patrol roster, and is the starting point for their ‘surf’ career.
| U14 Nipper / Cadets
The U14 age group continues to participate in the Junior Surf Lifesaving Program and Competition. The competition group is also encouraged to join the Senior training program.|
The U14 program kicks off with the Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC) training and assessment in December. The Surf Rescue Certificate is the first lifesaving award that enables members who have attained the age of 13 years to join patrols. Competitors in the U14 age group who have completed their SRC are also able to compete in Senior Carnivals in the U15 age group. Following completion of the SRC award, U14s are encouraged to join patrols and undertake water safety duties for the juniors program. Throughout the Junior Activity Program in December and January, U14s will meet at 8-30am to do their activities then report in for water safety and catch up with news of planned social and other cadet activities.
| U15 / U17 Cadets
The U15 / U17 cadets meet prior to the Junior session to complete training and developing their skills through activities. During the Junior Activity Program in December and January. The cadet group are involved in planning program activities that incorporate:|
* Fundraising – mini raffles at Nipper sessions and group initiated fundraising activities
* Social events - including pizza/movie nights and social surfing Competition - discuss upcoming carnivals, attendance and event selection
* Training – communication of senior training schedule; board camp (Sept) and swim camp (Jan)
* Nipper program – getting involved with the junior beach program and assisting with junior water safety. It is an expectation that the Cadet group provide water safety for a minimum of 4 (out of a possible 10) scheduled Junior Activity Program sessions.
* Lifesaving awards – awards that are available for these age groups include the Bronze Medallion (15yrs+), Surf Sports Official, IRB crew, Training Officer and First Aid.
Co-ordinator: Jenaya & Nathan Bell